How much money do you lose by allowing long boring speeches that put your guests to sleep at your benefit auction?
Try my new “No BS” (No Boring Speeches) techniques to motivate and engage your bidders and donors to new heights of generosity.
In this new economy, it’s vital to connect deeply with your auction guests so they emotionally understand the impact of their gift. Remember, long boring speeches do not make money; speeches lose precious profit-making momentum.
Here are some proven ideas to craft your fundraising pitch that I taught at my “Fund A Need Intensive Seminar” last week. Inspire your guests to bid higher and donate more to you.
- Make a new rule. Everyone who touches the microphone must say why they love YOU. (You can even say Kathy Kingston suggested it.)
- Tell a 59 second inspiring first true story immediately prior to your Fund the Mission special appeal.
- Ask — Invite generosity!
- Retain a professional benefit auctioneer. A volunteer or VIP does not have the experience or training to maximize your fundraising at your Fund A Need.
- Include your auctioneer in your strategy sessions. Give her or him written bulleted talking points that demonstrates the impact of the donor’s gift.
- Limit everyone’s remarks to less than 2 minutes. (Did you notice that I did not say speech?)
- Coach your speakers how to lift the audience with short inspiring remarks about what your non profit means to them – personally.
- Hire a professional sound company and conduct a ‘Run-Through and Sound Check’ before your doors open.
- Place a trusted volunteer “timer” in front of the stage with a red card that reads 30 seconds.
- Thank your guests for being part of your amazing Fundraising Team